2.08.2006

Learn Sth New

An instructor asked me today how to allow students to see results of only certain quizzes in WebCT while not giving them access to the entire list of Quizzes they have yet to take. I replied I didn't really think it was possible as any quiz tool will lead to the same page housing ALL quizzes.

But then I was curious so I poked around on Ask Dr. C and found a javascript hack that loads specific quiz results... pretty slick, but not very user friendly (see script below).

I figured my search was over, but when I thought about it I realized I never had any reason in my courses to even try to add more than one quiz tool. So I wanted to see what it would do. It did just what I thought it would do. Created two quiz tool icons pointing to the same quiz listing page. But here is where it got interesting. I noticed a little field I had not seen before. It's in the picture above. That little Quiz listing section. The Select button let's the designer choose which quizzes or surveys to display on the linked quiz page. How cool is that!? Why didn't I know about this sooner?

Here is the javascript hack if you need it (replace the "course_id" and "quiz_#" and note that a return was added to make it fit on screen):


<html>
<script type="text/javascript">
self.location="/SCRIPT/course_id/scripts/
student/serve_quiz_marked.pl?DO_GRADE+
quiz_#+1+VIEW";
</script>
</html>

No comments: