2.19.2007

Retaining Students

I came a bit late to the session on tips, tricks, and how-to's for retaining online students. It was a frenzied session with an exuberant presenter. So exuberant she blasted through her slides and left some chuckling (not mean-spiritedly) when she asked for questions:

"Okay, anyone have any questions? (No pause) Because now I am going to on to the next slide, and here we have more ideas on how to connect..."

I'm not exaggerating. I envy those minds who were capable of keeping pace. But in the end, I was not sure how any of the tools she presented or had other attendants suggest really improved retention. Actually, I never heard her even mention retention. I think there is an assumption that using a variety of tools and multiple presentations would increase retention. It sounds good, and I wouldn't disagree. But I also think the energy of this instructor/presenter could have more than a little to do with her success in the classroom.

No comments: